Soft cover, 104 pages, A4 size,103 photographs, 23 maps and diagrams, references and index.
This book presents the history of the McIvor Timber & Firewood Company. The
company operated from 1906 to 1927. Its main product was firewood for the Bendigo
and Melbourne markets. To transport the firewood the Company built 5 ft 3 in gauge
tramways from Tooborac to Mitchell’s Creek, Puckapunyal, Moormbool West and
The tramways were operated by two Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotives, and later an ex-
Victorian Railways W class 4-6-0. The book records the history and routes of these
tramways, and gives details in coloured maps of remains which were found on extensive
site inspections made between 1971 and 1986. Most of this area is now occupied by
the army and is not accessible.
At the time the Company operated, there were settlements at Major’s Line and
Moormbool West. The book gives an insight into the activities of these settlements,
including social events, which the McIvor Company supported.